My four year old isÂ fascinatedÂ by numbers. Â He regularly poses questions like the following: “Dad, what’s 40 + 40 + 40 + 3 + 0 + 1?” Â I love how he tosses in the zero as a curveball. Â He’s a funny kid.
Like the little guy, I too love to count. Â Always have. Â I’ve counted pretty much everything. Â Letters on road signs as I drive? Â Check. Â Bonus points for all the letters and digits on license plates in between those road signs? Â Achievement unlocked. Â The ceiling tiles in my thermo class in college? Â Definitely. Â Cards at blackjack tables in Vegas, NewÂ Jersey, Indiana, Southern Cal, and Aruba? Â Ding!
So when I finally cleaned off my glasses two years ago March and realized I’d gone from being a rail for the first half of my life to the width of the old-growth forest stumps that yielded the sleepers over the second half, it’s no surprise that I turned to counting for my solution. Â So I started scanning bar codes and figuring out meals. Â Data. Â Counting. Â Awesome. Â And amazingly this overpriced iPhone did more fo my health than any gym membership I’ve ever had.
So, it’s been nearly two years and after a brief respit from counting and caring about my fattitude this past fall, I’m back at it. Â Counting like the good ol’ days of license plates and doubling on a nine.
Oh, and I bought an ice cream maker attachment for our stand mixer. Â I’m just full of good ideas.
Let’s get dirty with some home made ice cream counting with tonight’s recipe, a variation of theÂ ridiculousÂ PhiladelphiaÂ Chocolate with peanut butter from David Lebovitz’s amazing The Perfect Scoop.
- Green & Black’s Organic – Dark 85% Cacao Bar – 625 calories
- Sugar In the Raw Natural Cane Turbinado Sugar – Sugar, 1 cup – 720 calories
- Heavy Whipping Cream, 2.5 cups – 2,000 calories (wowzers)
- 2% Reduced Fat Milk, 1 cup – 130 calories
- Ghirardelli – 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips, 48 chips – 240 calories
- Skippy – Natural Creamy Peanut Butter, 7 Tbsp – 665 calories
- Confectioner’s Sugar, 1/8 cup (30gr) – 60 calories
- Rademaker – Dutch Processed Cocoa, 6 tsp – 99 calories
And the total for these three pints of awesome? Â Four thousand, five hundred and thirty-sixÂ calories of awesome.
Oh yeah. Â But, it’s just 189 calories per 1/2 cup serving. Â And it’s got calcium in it. Â Yeah. Calcium.